National Bikini Day is a new thing to me, but after some digging around the internet for information I discovered that it is to celebrate the anniversary of the bikini being invented on the 5thJuly 1946 by Louis Réard who, of all things, was an automobile engineer. You may have already seen that the online Queens of beachwear Swimwear 365 are counting down to National Bikini Day on their blog with a series of posts with hints and tips on getting ready for bikini season. I’m joining them on their countdown to the day by sharing with you guys my guide to swimwear style and feeling confident whilst wearing a bikini!
Choosing a Bikini
· Buy bikini tops for your cup size rather than the general small, medium or large. This will be much more comfortable and will give you extra support.
· If you’re a little lacking in the booby department (I hear ya, sister!) Go for a bikini top with ruffles or embellishments. Bold, colourful prints are also a good idea for appearing fuller.
· Alternatively, if you’re quite busty then go for block prints and thick straps.
· High waisted bottoms not only look fantastically fifties but are also very flattering if you want to hide your love handles.
· Choose a tankini if you’re self conscious of your stomach.
|all suits available from Swimwear365|
· For a light beach cover-up opt for a sarong or a kimono.
· Add colour to a block coloured bikini with chunky jewellery and accessories.
· Make sure you’re wearing sunglasses with UV protection in the lenses. Not only will they make you look a bit sassy, but they will help protect your eyes from harmful UV rays.
· If you’re heading straight from beach to bar, wear a pair of embellished sandals or wedges for a bit of height.
|products pictured available from Swimwear365|
Beach Ready Skin and Nails
· Put bright and bold colours on your nails to really show off your tan!
· Exfoliate and moisturise for super silky skin.
· Use gradual tanner or fake tan in the week prior to hitting the beach for a light glow when you arrive. Apply with a tanning mitt to ensure a streak free finish.
· Ensure that your, um, hair removal regime is up-to-date.
· Make sure that you don’t damage your skin in the sun; apply an SPF before you head out and keep applying throughout the day, also head for the shade in the middle of the day to stay out of the strongest sun.
|fake bake from Swimwear365, rest of products Clinique from Boots|
These are just some of my tips for looking stylish and most of all, feeling comfortable when you’re wearing a bikini this summer!
Do you have any confidence boosting tips when it comes to swimwear? What do you look for when buying a new bikini?